City of Eden Prairie MN
The Communications Specialist supports all City departments in their communication and marketing efforts. The Communications Specialist works in a team environment to effectively “tell stories” about the City, its leaders, and the benefits the City provides its residents and businesses. The Communications Specialist is primarily responsible for the following areas of impact:
- Creating and implementing communication strategies that enhance the City’s image and increase citizen participation and awareness.
- Managing and creating content for the City’s current communication vehicles, especially Cable Channel EPTV 16, the newsletter “Life in the Prairie”, the Intranet and Internet.
- Producing, anchoring and reporting for the City’s T.V. news magazine “Life in the Prairie”. Creating and producing other programs for use on EPTV 16 that inform residents of news in the City and help to create a positive image of the City and its employees.
- Facilitating relationships with all departments and areas of the City by proactively identifying internal and external communication opportunities. These opportunities could include developing marketing plans and materials, developing public presentations, writing news releases or coordinating special events.
The Communications Specialist will be expected to provide work direction to the Communications Associate and other contract staff. In addition to building strong internal relationships, the Communications Specialist will be expected to cultivate relationships with members of the media and with key members of outside agencies and organizations that impact the City.
The Communications Specialist will need to be comfortable facilitating project teams and working with individuals at all levels of the organization including working closely with the Communications Manager, other members of the Communications Division and employees at the City, to build a cohesive, service-oriented approach to the communication function.
Candidate Background and Experience
Candidates for the Communications Specialist must possess the ability to produce, direct, anchor, report, and shoot video and have a minimum of three years of broad communications experience in television news, public relations, photography, video, multi-media presentations and writing. Candidates must also have a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field. A valid Minnesota Drivers License is required for this position and the finalist will be subject to a driving record and criminal background check.
The following skills and attributes are also important for this position:
- Solid writing and editing skills. Knowledge of AP style preferred.
- Strong facilitation and project management skills.
- Strong understanding of the role of local government.
- Experience working with local media.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to create partnerships with key leaders and team members at all levels.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently across all levels of the organization.
- Computer skills in Word, PowerPoint, and graphic design applications, including QuarkXpress, Photoshop and Illustrator preferred.
The position of Communications Specialist is based in Eden Prairie’s City Center. Hours are generally standard business hours, but will vary with Council and Commission meetings and television production work. The staring salary range for this position is $48,625 to 58,351 annually. Some of the City benefits include health and dental insurance, public retirement, long term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid personal and sick leave. A complete City of Eden Prairie Benefits Summary will be provided upon request.
: $48,625.00 - $58,351.00 USD /year
The Application Process
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and video by Friday July 22nd, 2005 (VHS, SVHS, DVD, DVCAM, Mini DV) [tapes will NOT be returned] that demonstrate skills in television reporting and anchoring to:
City of Eden Prairie
Attn: Human Resources
8080 Mitchell Road
Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55344
or via email to
The Candidate Selection Agenda
7/22/05 Deadline for Applications
7/29/05 Present Candidates/Select Finalists
Week of 8/1/05 & 8/8/05 Interviews/Selection
End of August/Beginning of Sept 2005 Start Date